Saturday, August 18, 2007

My Weekend Crush

CLICK to enlarge La MômeIt is nearly impossible to put the sublime into words. All attempts just feel feeble and flat. But once you’ve seen Marion Cotillard become Edith Piaf, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. The “La Vie en Rose” star brings out the light and dark in the famed French singer. The 31-year-old actress ages three decades for the role. Equal parts raw, riveting and radiant, she is a true revelation. Her Piaf is a defiant survivor and an eternal child. She is as impulsive about her life as she is driven about her career. She makes your heart sing, only to break it and finally let it soar. By the time Cotillard steps up to the microphone to deliver Piaf’s signature number, “Non, je ne regrette rien,” it is all over but the goose bumps. Simply sublime. Happy weekend, all.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Great movie. She did a fantastic job

Anonymous said...

I believe she won a cesar (french oscar) for her performance. I saw it when it origionally came out in France it was such an amazing experience, everyone was crying and laughing and talking about it for days...plus Marion Cotillard is YUM! vive la mome!

Dorothy Porker said...

Agreed 100%. By the way, Marion did win the Cesar, but it was a couple of years ago for "A Very Long Engagement" as best supporting actress. That being said, she's a shoe-in for the Best Actress award for the next ceremony.

Glory Allegory said...

She is gorgeous...

You and I seem to have a lot in common... perhaps. You seem like one of the more interesting people I've ever encountered here.

Kudos.

CoffeeDog said...

I loved this movie, and loved her portrayal of Piaf. Amazing acting.

WordNerd said...

I have been to a lot of films where the audience applauded at the end, but "La Vie En Rose" is the only one I can remember where we all just sat there in complete silence for a full minute after it was over. I've never seen anything quite like that, or anything quite like Cotillard's performance. She was stunning.

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you finally watched it!

Anonymous said...

This movie moved me and affected me long after I left the theatre. Cotillard gives a performance for the ages. I HOPE Oscar recognizes her, because to not do so would be nothing short of a cirme


----reader from Queens, NYC