Saturday, August 04, 2007

My Weekend Crush

As I was researching the new Oz remake “Tin Man,” Tracy Chapman’s beautifully sparse “Remember the Tin Man” kept going through my head. Off her “New Beginning” album, the song is a simple yet perfect metaphor for a guarded heart. In fact, the entire record was my soundtrack one summer, what seems like a lifetime ago. I was on an internship states away from the first person I ever truly loved (and dearest, if you’re reading, kisses). Tracy’s earnest, heartfelt songs both touched my loneliness and cradled my hope. Every time I hear “The Promise,” it brings back a sweet ache and warm rush of emotions, like staring at a faded snapshot from a precious moment in time. Tracy’s music has an honesty and power that needs no further embellishment. Just a guitar and that voice. Of course those amazing dreads, sly dimples and killer arms don’t hurt either. Fuck, she’s sexy. Oh, and she’s gay. And, apparently, she has a thing for writers. Lord, I’d love to tell her a story or two. Happy weekend, all.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, I love her voice. Have any of her songs been on the radio before? She sounds familiar

Anonymous said...

she's the shit. like you dorothy - i had a sweetie and tracy said it for me...fast car...your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder...and i had a feeling that i belonged...that i could be someone, be someone...

that's a seriously awesome song.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for posting that video Ms. Snarker! I've been trying to remember and find that song forever, but never could!

Anonymous said...

Amanda-
Maybe you're being sarcastic. If not--yes, she's on the radio frequently... The song called Give Me One Reason... "give me one reason to stay here, and I'll turn right back around. said i dont wanna leave you lonely, you gotta make me change my mind... this youthful heart can love you, and give you what you need... but i'm too old to go chasing you around, wasting my precious energy" It's amazing and the guitar is fucking awesome.